The slightly less cold weekend that we have been forecasting will bring an albeit brief respite from the very low temperatures this weekend, although there remains the risk of ice in places. Daytime temperatures are expected to reach highs of 8 °C in some locations, allowing a slow thaw of lying snow. However, overnight temperatures could dip close to freezing, allowing black ice to form.
However through the coming week we will gradually see temperatures edge back down again, bringing a return to cold days and significant overnight frosts.
- Weathermen promise a frost-free weekend – but another cold snap next week (menmedia.co.uk)
- Frozen Britain in pictures (mirror.co.uk)
- UK weather: Temperatures will reach 8c this weekend but big freeze will be back (dailymail.co.uk)
- After the Big Freeze the Big Thaw: Britain basks in balmy blast from West (dailymail.co.uk)
- Freeze to continue after brief thaw (guardian.co.uk)